Wednesday, August 31, 2005

AINORI, HEADACHE LOVE

In case you are wondering how come Mimi's English improved suddenly; it is because I'm today's guest poster. I think I will contribute to this since neither one of us has enough material to contribute on our own.
Afterwork today, I spent most of the afternoon planning out our upcoming train trip to Chicago in the end of September. Mimi and I will take a 3 day train ride up to chicago and then fly back after spending a couple of days in the city. It should be quite exhilirating.

The tape came! We watched our much anticipated 4 episodes of AINORI (Freshly shipped from Japan every 4 weeks). This is the Japanese reality show where a group of young people travel the world in a pink van trying to fall in love with a fellow companion so that they can return to Japan together. It is better than any soap opera.
Although I only speak about 10 words of Japanese I think I can understand 70 % of the show. The feelings of love, hate, jealousy, envy are so universal; you can see it clearly on the faces of these young people; no translation needed. Its a great show, and it never fails to move me to tears when their heart is broken. There is just something inherently charming about the show which I don't think can be duplicated in the States. The Japanese 20-somethings seem to still possess a sense of purity and idealism that is absent in American shows (which are dominated by exhibitionism and sexual one-upsmanship.) Oh, well, maybe it is all just nostalgia in my dotage.

Ok, thats it for now, hope everyone out there had a productive month of August; see you all in September.

Kemble, Mimi, and Laika

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

遅くなりました。
美穂のアドレスです~。

http://nekoyashiki.a-thera.jp/

これでいけると思うんだけど。。。

今回の日記、最初ケンボーさんが書いてるって気が付かなくて「みっちゃん、すっげーかっこいい英語使ってる~」と思いました。最初に断り書きしてるっちゅうねんなあ。意味分からんかった。
シカゴ、行くんだね!
旅日記楽しみにしてまっす♪
ヨーコ

By the way, Kemble-san,your title "headache love" has some particular meaning? I don't get why you used "headache". This "headache" is kind of "heavy","absorbed" or something?

from your partner's Japanese friend yoko

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Yoko,

Good to hear from you. I used "Headache Love" because I think it can be an alternative title to the show. Just by watching the people on the show, I can see what a big headache they get when they are so unsure if their feelings are shared by the one they are attracted to. I guess the traditional phrase would be "heartache";but who wants to be traditional anyways.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see!
Thank you, Kemble-san.

I'm looking forward to reading you guy's story from Chicago.
Take care!

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home