Tuesday, December 05, 2006

GOOD READING

It is that time of the year again. Time to take stock of your life and add up the merits and demerits. It is generally a stressful time for most people. T.S. Eliot once pointed out "humankind cannot bear very much reality."; Amen, Brotha!

One thing I do have in my merits column is the number of good books I read this year. Due to the special arrangements I have made at work, I am given an inordinate amount of time to indulge in my weakness for books. The ones that stood out as being particulary memorable this year were as follows:

Unconsoled - Kazuo Ishiguro
A Time to Die : The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy - Robert Moore

Stradivari's Genius: Five Violins, One Cello, and Three Centuries of Enduring Perfection

Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare - Philip Short
We'll Always Have Paris: Sex and Love in the City of Lights - John Baxter

The Fate of Africa: From the Hopes of Freedom to the Heart of Despair - A History of 50 Years of Indepence - Martin Meredith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home